Saturday, November 3, 2007

Visiting Up North

I got my other pictures from yesterday, which will probably be used as blackmail by one of you at some point. Check out yesterday's edited blog to see them.
---
Today we drove up north to Golan Heights. Sometimes it snows there in the winter. In the Middle East. Yep.

First we went to Caesarea, a town which King Herod built to honor Caesar. I hadn't expected to see Roman ruins here, but it makes sense, since they took over the entire world. I learned that sarcophagus means "flesh eater". See the aqueduct:

Then we went to Armageddon. Yep, that's right, I've been to the end of the world. Here they call it Megiddo; it's the hill that overlooks the valley where the final battle will take place. Here I am, at Armageddon. I also drove through that valley... there were some cows. I hope they are fire-proof.
Then we traveled over to the Sea of Galilee, but walking on water is slightly beyond my capabilities, so I just took a picture. That is the town of Tiberius in the foreground.
From there we ate falafel (yum), and then went to see Jesus be baptized. Okay, not really. But we saw a whole bunch of people getting baptized in the Jordan river, "near the spot where Jesus was baptized". That's what the sign said anyway. A lot of places over here are approximate, based on writings from the bible. I guess the geography matches pretty well though. Everyone seems to think so, based on the line of people visiting:
I think they brought their own priests. But you can also rent one if you need to, so don't worry about bringing your own with you when you travel over here.

I thought about going to touch the water, but then I saw these fish. No way was I going anywhere near there.

On our way home, I almost died in a minefield. Luckily I saw this sign in time though, and ran back safely.

I am just kidding, Mom! We were driving on the very safe, paved road and stopped to take this picture. From outside the fence. I promise...

3 comments:

Demian said...

Those are holy fish, they wont attack.

Demian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane said...

I don't have anything witty to say, but I wanted to let you know that I am following Erin. Your pictures are awesome, albeit slightly blurry. Hm...I've never used the word 'albeit' before. I'm proud of myself.

I hope to see more pictures of people lining up to be drowned by priests in the near future.

And apparently I have a blogger account...? Maybe it's just really smart and knows who I am.