Monday, October 21, 2013

Machu Picchu

The weather had been great for the first three days of the trek, and then sometime in the middle of the third night it started pouring. We woke up at 3am to get in line at the checkpoint, and then at 5:30 we started the wet hike to the Sun Gate.

After 4 days of hiking, the first view of Machu Picchu!

BearDog wonders where Machu Picchu went. By the time he posed for the camera, the clouds had moved in.

As we descended, the views improved.

BearDog decides that the hike was worth it.

Machu Picchu is quite large and has no shortage of stones.

The Incas really liked their terraces.

I stayed overnight in Aguas Calientes and hiked Wayna Picchu the second day. Wayna Picchu is the mountain behind Machu Picchu in the previous photos. It had more stairs but I was a pro at that point.

Elevation only 2693 meters? No problem!

I was glad I stayed because it was much clearer the second day. The zigzags are the road leading from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu. You can take the bus or walk. After walking for 4 days, choosing the bus was the easiest decision I've ever made.

Shhhh... I'm stalking a llama.

I can take a train back!?

BearDog takes a well-deserved rest after a great hike.

No comments: