Saturday, October 19, 2013

Inca Trail Day 1

The Incas built many trails, but I hiked the most famous one, the 4-day trek to Machu Picchu. After meeting in Cusco at 4:30am, we took a bus to the start of the trail.

There were 11 of us - 6 from the UK, 4 from the US, and 1 from Australia. Also, 2 guides, 2 chefs, and a lot of porters to carry everything for us - I could get used to that lifestyle.

The porters were incredible. While I carried less than 10 pounds, mostly consisting of water, a camera, and a jacket, they each carried about 70 pounds! They brought along all the camping gear and cooking items for 4 days of hiking. Not only that, but shortly after we left camp they would have everything packed up and would go running past us to set up for the next meal.

Did I say they carried the cooking items? I meant to say they carried the entire dining room on their backs. This is the breakfast they set up for us after they brought coca tea to each of our tents every morning, and set out individual bowls of hot water for us to wash our hands and faces with.

No shortage of food...

...or popcorn, hot chocolate, or cakes during daily pre-dinner "Happy Hour". Seriously, we had a cake on our last night. I can barely bake a cake in my kitchen, let alone in the middle of the jungle. After carrying the ingredients. And the oven. And the propane bottles. Over several mountain passes.

This dinner arrived after the cake. Note that it looks like a turtle and an ostrich. I might do the hike again just for the food.

Speaking of hiking, we did a lot of that. We also stopped to view Inca ruins along the way.

These donkeys were interested in my morning snack. Not as interested as I was though.

More hiking.

The view was okay, I guess.

No comments: