Sunday, August 17, 2008

Taronga Zoo

The weather has been fairly consistent in the low 60s, windy, and sunny. Since today there was not a cloud in the sky, I thought it would be a good day to visit the zoo. I bought a combo ferry/zoo ticket and got a great view of the skyline as I traveled across the harbor.
I was disappointed when I arrived at the zoo because they had posted signs stating that their skyride was not operational, the seal show was cancelled for maintenance of the pool, and their world-famous bird show was cancelled for reasons beyond their control, whatever that means.

I decided to ignore the disappointment, and I started to walk around the zoo. I did get to see some elephants playing soccer during their keeper talk. I also ate a burger that did not taste like beef (also it had beets on it?). I hope it was not kangaroo. Kangaroo seems to make it onto a lot of menus around here. They are too cute for me to eat though.
I eventually covered every single exhibit at the zoo, which I'm pretty proud of. Here are some important highlights:

Saw some koalas. Didn't pay $18 to have my picture taken with one.

Saw a kangaroo. Decided it wasn't dead because it was twitching. (I actually saw a lot more kangaroos after that, but they didn't look as dead)

Saw a wallaby. He was cute. Soon after this picture he jumped across the gap to another rock, but my picture-finger is not that quick.

Saw a platypus. Forgot to take a picture. It was very much smaller than I had pictured in my head. It was about a foot long. I had pictured them more about the size of an otter. Oops. Maybe there are different versions?
Saw meerkats!!

Saw lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Saw a peacock with his tail up. It looked heavy.

Found out where they put the naughty birds.
Saw an emu. He was kind of boring, so I won't post his picture. Same with the dingos. Saw a short-beaked echidna. It is like an anteater. Also it is spiky.

Saw a kookaburra picture...
... matched the picture to a real one in the tree, laughing.

No comments: