Sunday, December 9, 2007

Petra

This weekend I was Indiana Jones, searching for the Holy Grail.
We traveled by camel, of course.And bought some goats from the back of a truck when we got thirsty.We arrived at Petra.Wait a minute, that's very pretty, but not what I drove 6 hours to see.
Ah, here's what I was looking for. We walked 1500 meters along the Siq...(keep going)
and saw lots of great colors.Finally we turned the corner and saw the Treasury! It was amazing.Of course we took many pictures. Look how small the people are. By the way, they carved them from the top down, and those holes on the sides are where they attached the scaffolding. Our guide explained to us all the symbols, but as I am not your guide, you can Google it if you're interested.There are more facades in the city, the Treasury is just the most famous (and with good reason).We climbed lots of steps.But the view of the desert from the top was worth it.I even made a friend along the journey.We finished the day by taking a quick tour of Aqaba, Jordan, on the Red Sea (before we crossed the border back to Eilat, Israel).I didn't end up finding the Grail. But it was a great trip nonetheless!

3 comments:

Shane said...

wow...that's awesome. this is going to be a dumb tourist question, but is it possible to go inside the treasury? I don't even know if there's anything in there. it just seems like a good idea.

hakeber said...

Hi Erin... I'm so jealous! Your trip to Petra looks amazing.

Demian said...

Why do you have your jacket on, and your GT shirt, is it cold there? It's freezing back home!