Thursday, December 6, 2007

Hanukkah

Tuesday night was the start of Hanukkah.

At the hotel that evening, there was a big celebration (which made CNN the next morning). There were hundreds of people in the lobby awaiting the lighting of the first candle. A rabbi sang to us, and then everyone sang (except me, I still haven't learned Hebrew, except to count from 0-9 and say "hello" and "thank you"), and then they lit the candles. An angel led the kids away; apparently the Jews have angels too... with pointy ears. And then they handed out free donuts and chocolate. And when I say chocolate, I mean huge chunks of chocolate that they used a hammer and chisel to hand out:
When I went upstairs to my room, there were more donuts waiting for me! Mmm, free dinner.
Last night we ate dinner at Mike's Place. It is pretty much an American bar, on the beach. They had a Christmas tree! It was exciting for me. I am having a slightly difficult time getting ready for Christmas here, because it's warm and sunny and I live on the beach. Not that I'm complaining though!

3 comments:

Shane said...

That's pretty cool. It's like...REAL Hanukkah.

I'm glad to see that you're enjoying the finest in Israeli food - donuts, chocolate, and Mike's Place. That's what I would eat every night.

It was 16 degrees (F) here this morning, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm still following Erin. Glad you're having fun. :)

-Jim

Unknown said...

Wow, Erin! You are seeing so much! Are you getting any work done at all? lol

Enjoy your time there!

-Olivia